Monday, October 12, 2009

Columbus Day Stuff

Today is Columbus Day and most kids have the day off. My son who is in the high school band had to march in the Columbus Day Parade in Chicago. He had to be at the school by 9:30 am this morning to ride the bus into Chicago. We live in a very small town about 50 miles south of Chicago. It was a very cold day and the kids in the band had on their band uniforms consisting of a tux shirt,red cummerbund, red bow tie and black tux slacks and black shoes. They all look so nice when dressed up. My son knew it was going to be cold, it was only in the 40's today, so he put a Under Armor shirt under his uniform to help ward off some of the cold. The parade started at 12:30 in the afternoon and Danny (my son) called to let me know what number had been assigned to his band so I would be sure to not miss them on TV. He later told me that they had waited in the cold for 2 hours before it was their turn to march. Needless to say I was anxious to see the band. I sat looking at the parade for an hour and a half to see the band. I taped the parade so I could show him when he got home. It was exciting to see him and the band and this is like the 5th or 6th time his band has marched in the parade. Was glad to get him home and warm, he wasn't happy about getting up on his day off for the parade but when he got home he told me it was kinda sad as this would be the last time he would be marching in that parade. The Momence Marching Band, which consists of 6th thru 12th grades, combine for marching in parades only. I am a proud mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment