Monday, February 1, 2010

Awesome Day on the Ice

A few days ago my husband and I went ice fishing. We went to a place that years ago produced a lot of bluegills and an occasional bass. The past few years the Indiana Conservation Department has stopped putting weed kill in this particular area due to cost. Weeds and such are good for the fish but this area was positively over run with weeds making it next to impossible to fish in the summer time. The fishing and the ice fishing has been declining in recent years. I'm not sure if it's because of the weeds or not. It had been a couple of years since we fished here so we decided to give it a try as it's only 10 minutes from home. Much to our surprise we caught 33 bluegill and one rock bass. It was a good day. The thing that I found most exciting was the clarity of the water. I could see my bait down about 4 feet and could see the bluegills come up and take the bait. It was an awesome sight to see. While I was hovering over the hole watching my bait a bass about 14 or 15 inches swam past my ice hole at about 1 foot. It was the coolest thing to see. I can't wait to go ice fishing again, maybe today. Happy fishing all.

No comments:

Post a Comment